- Joshua Barndt, MS Urban Ecology – Executive Director – email@example.com
- Joshua holds an Master of Science in Urban Ecology from The New School (NYC), and is a Community Land Trust specialist who has acted as the Executive Director of Parkdale’s Neighborhood Land Trust since 2015. In this capacity Barndt has led the organization through its early development, charitable registration, as well as the implementation of the Land Trust’s first four acquisition projects. This included the acquisition of 87 Milky Way as an Urban Agriculture Space for Parkdale and 26 Maynard Avenue as a Rooming House Acquisition Pilot project. As ED of the Land Trust, Barndt has raised $4.5mm in grants and investment to date. Outside of his work with the Land Trust, Barndt has worked as an Affordable Housing Consultant for several organizations including Parkdale Activity Recreation Centre and the Cooperative Housing Federation of Canada aiding value aligned partners to realize over 400 units of affordable housing.
- Darnel Harris, MES (Planning) – Operations Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Darnel is an urban planning, project management and ‘just’ sustainability expert, who holds a Master of Environmental Studies (Planning) and Sustainability Education Graduate Diploma from York University. As the Neighbourhood Land Trust’s Operations Manager, he handles operations planning, governance, membership development and communications duties within the Board and its’ Committees, as well as external partners. Darnel is a Canadian Urban Institute NextGen Award Winner for Urban Leadership, 2016 Green Talent Fellow (Government of Germany) and has raised over $250,000 for sustainability initiatives benefiting diverse communities.
- Monica Hutton – Property Asset Manager – email@example.com
- Monica is an architect with a background in urbanism and environmental design. She holds a Master of Science in Architecture Studies from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and a Master of Architecture and Bachelor of Environmental Design from University of Manitoba. Prior to joining the Neighbourhood Land Trust, she taught graduate and undergraduate studios at University of Toronto John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design and worked for Public City Architecture in Winnipeg on projects including public library and school retrofits, and park infrastructure with a focus on supportive amenities, efficient building systems, and accessibility. Monica brings a strong interest in socially sustainable building practices and social procurement to the role of Property Asset Manager.
Neighbourhood Land Trust (Charity) Board of Directors:
- Ayal Dinner – President
- Ayal has 20 years experience initiating, developing, and managing, nonprofit and charitable organizations, multi-stakeholder community projects, and social enterprises. An active community leader, he has served on a various non-profits, charities and co-operatives, including Ontario Local Food and Farming Co-ops Network. Mr. Dinner was a Diamond Jubilee Medal winner in 2013 for his community contributions.
- Fatema Jivaji – Vice-President
- Fatema is a distinguished member of the Canadian Bar Association and South Asian Bar Association, and skilled in the legal practice of commercial real estate, including project development, acquisitions and dispositions, leasing and secured lending. Currently a Senior Negotiator for the Yukon Government (Executive Council), she speaks English, Gujrathi and Swahili.
- Paulina Vivanco – Treasurer
- Paulina is a dedicated non-profit housing and social services professional, with over 15 years of experience designing programs and overseeing multi-stakeholder projects aimed at achieving successful health and housing outcomes for marginalized populations. Paulina is proud to have led all community engagement initiatives associated with participatory budgeting processes in over 20 TCHC communities.
- Sam Carter-Shamai – Secretary
- Sam’s approach to urban planning is informed by a liberal arts background in cultural geography, photography, and design. Currently serving as the Under Gardiner Corridor Lead with the Bentway Conservancy, Sam remains engaged within the community and is committed to advancing equity and representation within the planning profession.
- John Doherty
- John has acted as interim management for 20+ years across the NFP sector, and volunteered on the following Boards over the last 25 years: Greenpeace Canada, Toronto Environmental Alliance, Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area, Parkdale Arts and Cultural Centre, Beatrice House. He also proudly served his community for 9 years as Trustee with the Toronto Board of Education.
Parkdale Neighbourhood Land Trust (Non-Profit) Board of Directors:
- Ana Teresa Portillo – President
- Phuntsok Chomphel – Vice-President
- Richard Marshall – Treasurer
- Estair Van Wagner – Secretary
- John Schaffter
- Tanja Juric
- Leigh Jeneroux
- Mel Simao
- Saamia Hasan
- Priya Gupta
- Sonam Yangzom
- Sova Lama
- Anita Prasad
- Tom Ermidas
- Claudia Pedrero – Governance & Equity Committee Chair
- Daisy McCabe-Lokos – Acquisitions Committee Chair
- Open – Community Education & Engagement Committee Chair
- John Doherty – Finance Committee Chair
- John Schaffter – Fundraising Committee Chair